What is a Dedicated Server?
Dedicated hosting or opting a dedicated server means opting your own dedicated server, with all the performance, control and flexibility you need. In Dedicated server you have the highest levels of security and protection as only your own website is being hosted on the server, and includes root access to the network for optimum flexibility.
This is a perfect solution for big sized online businesses and large websites that have huge amounts of visitors and traffic. For example gaming servers, online communication portals, complicated Ecommerce
If you opt for a dedicated server you will be essentially setting up a single computer within a network that is reserved solely for the needs of that network. This server will be used by you to manage communications with other computers within the network, to manage printer resources, etc. You can avail a dedicated server even on a rental arrangement. Here, you can rent out a server, software as well as an internet connection with a specific web host.
What is the Difference between a Managed and an Unmanaged Dedicated Hosting?
From the perspective of dedicated hosting, a managed service essentially refers to the planned support you receive. Here are some key differences you need to know:
- If you take a managed hosting package, web hosting company will provide to you support for all kinds of problems and tasks on a routine basis as well as in case of emergency. If you have problems with the operating system, the server setup, the control panel or with any pre-installed applications, they will all be managed by your host. Also, managed hosting typically comes with automated monitoring and backup services.
- On the other hand, unmanaged hosting tends to be cheaper since there is no additional support provided. Your will have to make sure at your end that the failed components are replaced, the servers are rebooted, the network is maintained and that there is consistent access but the service provider won’t do anything beyond that. If you need to install anything or get any kind of support for your software you will have to look elsewhere. In this scenario, it is essentially your own computer to control and maintain. You will be responsible to install of the security patches, take care of any error messages and install anything else. Many unmanaged hosting arrangements will not even include a control panel or a web server program.
Dedicated versus Cloud Servers
A dedicated server is ideal for businesses that for regulatory reasons need to invest in extremely high levels of data security. It is also ideal for businesses that have relatively more predictable demand that necessitates all servers to be running all through the day, all year round. If you are opting for a dedicated server, you want to make sure that you have the IT expertise and capacity to manage its maintenance all the time.
on the other hand are usually recommended for businesses that are looking for extremely high-end IT performance without having to spend too much on purchasing and managing an entirely dedicated server. This is why cloud has gained increased popularity among small and mid-sized enterprises and businesses that have inconsistent workloads.
Here is a basic comparison between both these hosting approaches:
- How Fast can One have Resources Online?
In case of the Cloud, it is possible to have resources online within a few minutes. However, in the case of a dedicated server, you have to be more patient. In extreme cases the process may take weeks
- Is it Possible to Upgrade the CPU, Disk Space and RAM?
This is possible in both dedicated servers as well as the cloud. However, the difference is that cloud still makes the entire process more convenient since upgrades can happen through APIs. In dedicated servers, it is a manual process that demands a scheduled maintenance.
- Is it Possible to achieve High Availability in an Affordable and Efficient Manner?
This is possible in both cases, but like most other things, cloud servers are quicker. All one has to do is configure a HA environment with more than one cloud servers and a load balancer and you are done in minutes. The same process on a dedicated server tends to take hours. Also, it is often noticed that building a HA environment on the cloud is cheaper.
Some more benefits of Opting for a Dedicated Server:
• You will have the freedom and flexibility of your own server
• You will be able to enjoy a lot more scalability for your website
• You will be able to run chart servers and various other applications that cannot be otherwise run on cheaper hosting plans
• Websites and applications tend to perform faster on dedicated servers
• Bad coding by another customer will not slow you down
• You can manage your traffic spike independently without having others complain
• You gain extra protection against hackers and attacks by locking your dedicated server down.