What is Linux Web Hosting?
Linux hosting is the most popularly known hosting service in the industry. Because of its versatility and powerful nature, it is considered to be the most popular alternative to Microsoft Windows and is available in a variety of free, free-mium as well as commercial versions.
A growing number of shared hosting companies
today choose to default to Linux for their hosting packages. In fact, it is also the OS that Google relies on to run its extensive banks of over 15000 servers.
Why Choose Linux for Hosting?
It is not uncommon for business and/or website owners to purchase a web hosting plan in india without really venturing into technical details. If you are currently on a cheaper shared hosting place, chances are that it is provisioned via servers that run using Linux. This is often recommended because –
- Linux offers a highly secure environment ridding website owners from the worry of attacks and hacks
- It is easy to use industry standard web hosting software such as the CPanel so that moving hosts isn’t very disruptive.
- Opting for Linux helps keep the costs down for the hosts, who in turn pass on their savings to the customers
- On Linux platforms, the way things work tend to be rather standard from one host to another.
- Finally, Linux id typically configured according to the LAMP standards. That is (L)inux OS, (A)pache Web Server Applications, (M)ySQL and (P)HP programming language. This standard gives you all you need to run and manage an acceptable and modernized online portal.
Linux Hosting versus Windows Hosting
If you are confused between Linux and Windows hosting, you should not that not all popular scripts and languages require Linux. For instance, WordPress
can be easily installed on a Windows Server
. Also PHP
and Perl through Strawberry Perl can be supported o Windows. However many users believe that they aren’t so well supported and may not be extremely stable to work with.
That said Linux servers india do not support IIS, .NET and ASP
. So if you intend to work with these tools, you may have to go with Windows. Windows is often considered to be a well rounded platform where most applications work relatively well. However, Linux wins the pricing game. Learn more on Linux vs. Windows Hosting
The Pros and Cons of Linux Hosting
- Linux hosting essentially makes use of open source software.
- In addition to this, it also gives users a variety of options for various hosting requirements.
- Linux hosting is easily compatible with PHO that is one of the most preferred programming languages available today.
- If you are a programmer who likes to keep testing new things, Linux is an excellent platform to consider.
- Linux is also cheaper and more affordable. Over head expenses in Linux are significantly reduced especially when proprietary software isn’t installed.
- If you need to work with Windows applications and coding conversion, Linux may not be the best platform for you to consider. The problem is the same if your website is designed for windows based applications. This is the only major disadvantage that a user may experience.
Our Latest Blog Posts on Linux Hosting: